This week in EDTECH 564, we continued working on an instructional unit proposal. I chose to do my proposal on the initial unit in my Video Game Design course. In this unit, students begin by playing a series of games. Then they complete an Aurasma scavenger hunt throughout the school, finding and figuring clues as they go. There is a quick quiz app that students can review what they are learning about game components (character, setting, control, etc.) Finally, students create posters defining/describing the components they have learned about.
For some reason, I was thinking this was our final project for the class and I was thinking I would have time to actually build out some of the materials for this unit as I really would like to use it in the classroom. Turns out, I was wrong and we are moving on next week. I feel like if I had caught this earlier, I might have spent more time building up my proposal document.
This week in EDTECH 534 I found myself playing catch up from my previously mentioned illness. For my final app, I am creating a tournament app for students to use during my Video Game Design course. Currently, students use specific online games to analyze various game components. The app I created will introduce mobile games into that activity. My app has 4 mini-games that all have some kind of scoring in them. Three of the games are games I have previously built in this class that will only need minor modifications to do as I envision (mostly with scoring). My fourth game is a completely new, created by me, game. I’m quite proud of it. Not going to lie, I spent the WHOLE day today working on it. Time really does fly when you are in a groove. At this point, I have spent more time on this app than I allotted but I’m almost there. Next week I need to focus on perfecting my scoring, applying some kind of ‘end game’ functionality to 2 of the games, inserting sounds here and there, and polishing up my UI (I can NEVER leave the UI alone).
While this post isn’t about projects done in either of my classes (EDTECH 534 & 564), I do want to record my reflection as it is a part of my journey…
Last Friday I noticed some pain in my gut along with overall fatigue. As the weekend progressed, the pain didn’t seem to get better and started to concern me. By Sunday, I was in pretty rough shape. Monday I ended up visiting the ER and spent the day being poked and prodded. What an interesting experience! The good news is that I left with a diverticulosis diagnosis which is totally manageable. Of course, it would be nice if once an ailment is identified, recuperation would naturally follow as quickly. With my shiney new diagnosis and meds, I foolishly decided to go to work on Tuesday. I made it about 1.5hrs before I was weeping and sent home with pity. Hmph. The next day I didn’t even try. Here we are on Thursday, I have emerged from my hibernation cocoon and I am SO FAR BEHIND.. double Hmph.
While I slept the most part of the last week, I have been thinking about both my final projects. For both classes, I plan on creating products that will support my gamification efforts in the classroom. For 534, I am making an app that will help track and deliver game stats in a gamified course. For 564, I am building out a unit for my Video Game Design course that explores game components.