The main idea behind this weeks EDTECH506 graphic is using emphasis to draw out meaning. The terms used in the chapter are figure for the thing that you want to emphasize and ground for what is in the background. The readings for the week showed different examples of calling attention to content using many basic design principles such as manipulating positive and negative space. As I browsed through the examples, I got a better understanding of applying these principles to creating instructional materials. For my project this week, I chose to create a poster for the classroom showing the Google Slides toolbar.
The instructional purpose is to provide students this toolbar cheat sheet for quick reference. I tried to make the toolbar and labels pop out of the page by subduing the background image. I feel like this worked ok but after showing it to my test team (my family) I felt that there wasn’t enough “pop.” I solved this problem by adding some drop shadows which I feel does a good job of separating the foreground and background.
This WebQuest follows the model developed by Bernie Dodge and Tom March. It is used to explore the design process in developing logos. The quest guides students through gathering information, brainstorming, refining, and delivery.
For the HTML portion of the program, I opted to use a home-grown template. I had issues with some of the other pages I made from pre-made templates. When working with a template, there is a lot of time spent getting familiar with the code and how it works. Sometimes it takes you a while to figure out the template isn’t going to work for what you wanted it for. So to spare myself all that time and energy, I wrote the code myself. I am happy with the results. The site is flexible, has responsive elements, and looks good.
Take a look…
This EDTECH 502 assignment expanded on the HTML/CSS skills learned so far in the course. The main requirement is to be a multi-paged website that uses consistent navigation and styles. I chose to use Bootstrap again, like I did last week with the Wood Types M-Learning Activity. This week though I did run into coding issues with the templates. When working with templates, this is a common problem to come across. I opted early on to make a fresh start which corrected the problem but I still wasted a lot of time troubleshooting. I overcame the coding issues and was able to focus o the virtual field trip around the wood shop. Going in the order the students are introduced to the machinery, the virtual field trip visits most machines in the shop. There is plenty of room for growth down the road when I want to add machines.
Check it out…