For this EDTECH502 assignment, we were tasked with researching and creating a web page about web accessibility. This is an area of web development that I am passionate about. While I have compassion and understanding for those with disabilities, my passion is more on the development side. Having worked for years with some of the top web developers in the area, I was frequently surprised at how NON-compliant the code would be. It is often easier and quicker to cut corners and skip accessibility guidelines but in my opinion, that just makes your code sloppy and unprofessional.
The assignment was pretty straightforward. For the HTML portion of the lesson, we worked on links, both external and internal as well as the CSS styling of links. Of course I put just a smidgin extra in and built a CSS nav.. but it was truly just a smidgin.
You can check out my web accessibility page here.
The assignment is to create a web page of netiquette rules for your students. One objective is to explore netiquette and how it can be applied to my practice. Another objective is to explore more HTML/CSS.
I ended up keeping mine pretty generic because I teach multiple courses in varied subjects. The process had me scouring the Internet looking to see what other people have done. It didn’t take much research to find the voice I wanted to use and the points I wanted to hit. I imagine I will update this over time as priorities in classroom management change.
The HTML/CSS portion of the project was fun, just like last week. I am still a bit rusty and I don’t have enough man hours to make something spectacular just now but I’ve got some really good pages to begin with and build on. I definitely plan on adding this to my courses next year.
Go ahead and check it out.
I really enjoyed week one of EDTECH502: Internet for Educators. This assignment was to create a basic web page using Dreamweaver and HTML and add some basic CSS. While I have lots of experience building web sites/applications as a profession, I still enjoyed getting back to the basics with this weeks lessons. Being able to take a step back allowed me to take a look at features I have never taken advantage of within Dreamweaver. It also reminded me that I haven’t done this stuff in several years. I found it interesting to play with the different ways Dreamweaver handles tasks such as setting properties now vs how it was done last time I lived in the program.
All in all, like I’ve said, I really enjoyed this weeks homework and look forward to playing some more next week.